Saturday, March 13, 2010


The television has begun to concern me, lately. It keeps telling me that I should be eating yogurt, having a baby, and getting married. I suppose this comes from the shallow glimpses I get of the glowing tube in between desperate attempts to keep my sanity, and textbook reading.

Maybe it doesn't help that I keep watching 'Slice', which is a channel dedicated to middle-aged women. A lot of the shows fascinate me.. but for reasons such as: I get glimpses into the lives of other people (Til Debt do us Part, Intervention, ect..).

But none the less.. with the more I watch, and the glimpses I get into other peoples' lives (Not all of which are in debt horribly or addicted to drugs), I realize just how fucked up my priorities are.

I have no intention to have a baby.

I have no intention to get married, even (which may come as a dull, painful surprise to Jason).

It seems that the things that other people value as important in their lives, such as getting married, having a family, filling their houses up with expensive televisions, cars, shoes, clothes, and fashionable furniture... they just don't do it for me.

When I look at my friends.. I see them doing the same things that I avoid. All of them. I consider the value they place on these actions, and I wonder why I don't have an inkling of desire to follow in their footsteps... and then I look back at myself and I wonder what I truly value out of life.

That's where I come up lacking. Major goals for me are having a nice job and making a lot of money. Buying a house I can be comfortable in, that has a big yard so I can have a garden. Making wine, and having a cellar. Ballroom dancing. Throwing fancy tea parties, and playing video games...

All these selfish things that I want for myself are so goddamned simple.. they're things people give up to spend 15,000$ to get married, or the huge dollar sign/responsibility drain that children take up.

I wonder why my priorities are so petty. Is there something wrong with me?

No comments: